PRAYER POINTS FOR YOUR CITY
October 14, 2019
Lord God, we pray for the peace of our cities.
We are reprinting this article from our archives. Tensions are hot in the country and we are urging intercessors to fortify their own communities in prayer. The following prayer points come from Bowie, Maryland on their website Turn on the Light Bowie.
Pray for Spiritual Awakening in the Churches in your City.
Pray the Scriptural prayers found in Eph 1:15-21, 3:14-21; Phil 1:9-11; Col 1:9-12, 4:12; 1 Thes 3:10-13, 5:23; 2 Thes 1:11-12, 2:16-17, 3:1-5; Phil 4-6; and Heb 13:20-21.
When you pray these Scriptures, insert the name of congregations and assemblies in your city, asking God to bring the fullness of Jesus’ life into the church. Remember the example of Epaphras, a servant of Christ who “wrestled in prayer” for the Christians that lived in three cities – Colosse, Laodicia, and Hierapolis (Col 4:12).
2. Pray For the Removal of the Spiritual Strongholds of Darkness over your City.
Ephesians 6:12 teaches of the constant spiritual battle in the heaven lies.. actual strongholds that the enemy has over geographic areas. (see also Dan 10:10-13).
Command the “rulers, authorities, powers of this dark world, and the spiritual forces of evil” in the north, south, east, and west of your city to “give up” those people held in spiritual bondage (see Is 43:5,6). Praise the Lord that people will come to Jesus from the four sections of your city. (Lk 13:29)
3. Pray for the Leadership and Authorities in your City
– such as the Mayor, the City Council, Police Chief, School Board, etc. – 1 Tim 2:1-4.
4. Ask God to Bless your City.
“Through the blessing of the upright a city is exalted” – Proverbs 11:11
The greatest blessing God can send is Jesus Christ, who will turn people from their wickedness, and bring them salvation. – Acts 3:26.
5. Pray for the Welfare of your City.
“…seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” – Jeremiah 29:7
6. Pray for the People of your City to Turn to God.
Remember the Nineveh (read Jn 3:1-10) and Samaria did (John 4:39-42).
7. Pray for Peace within your City and for the Prosperity of the City. – Psalm 122:6,7
8. Pray for your City to Support Righteousness and Goodness.
“When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy.” – Proverbs 11:10
9. Pray for your City to be a Testimony of Righteousness. – Matthew 5:14,16
10. Pray that your City would recognize the time of God’s visitation. – Luke 19:41-44